Auto Dimming darkens LCD Panels too much - Buick Envision Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Auto Dimming darkens LCD Panels too much

The auto dimming feature makes the LCD display panels far too dark to read. I live in LA and drive in several canyons. While the sun is out, the canyon is shaded and the auto dim feature kicks in. This make viewing the display near impossible. Any hints anyone can offer? I have the display lights as bright as they will go using the rotator switch.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougloftus View Post
The auto dimming feature makes the LCD display panels far too dark to read. I live in LA and drive in several canyons. While the sun is out, the canyon is shaded and the auto dim feature kicks in. This make viewing the display near impossible. Any hints anyone can offer? I have the display lights as bright as they will go using the rotator switch.
Possibly if you change the headlamp setting from "auto" to either "off" or "on" this will prevent the auto dimming feature from causing the LCD display to go too dark to read?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTom View Post
Possibly if you change the headlamp setting from "auto" to either "off" or "on" this will prevent the auto dimming feature from causing the LCD display to go too dark to read?
Or try covering the sensor on the dash which is in the middle, close to the bottom of the windshield?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Instrument Panel Lighting "day mode" or "night mode" is controlled/commanded by the BCM (body control module), with ambient light level information being fed to the system by the ambient light sensor, located typically at the top of the dash, near the base of the windshield, as Tx Tom indicated in his post above. Normally there is a significant "delay" time built into the (BCM) software that controls (times) the changeover from one lighting mode to another, to prevent excessive or unnecessary or nuisance lighting mode cycling. Not sure what is happening on the Envision in this particular situation, but it sounds like the lighting mode delay timing is not optimal for those particular conditions.

Dougloftus - when engaged in normal "nighttime" driving (when not negotiating LA-area canyon roads), are you finding that the LCD displays are bright enough, or do they need to be brighter? Is the problem you report occurring at any time of the day, or is it happening only at dusk and dawn?
By the way... are you speaking of only the instrument cluster/D.I.C. display for the issue you report, or are you also including the center stack-mounted Infotainment panel (touchscreen) in your observation?

If this reported issue is confirmed by Buick as being a genuine problem experienced by many, then I would expect Buick to issue a software change/update to address the problem.

Last edited by rbreeze; 07-28-2016 at 09:39 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM

Doesn't that mean the lighting mentioned doesn't have its own fuse and works off the the main fuse?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 PM

I have noticed the same thing. While driving into an underground garage the panel dimmed to a point where the speedo and radio were so dim they were unreadable. I could not find any settings to adjust this problem and the instrument panel dimmer switch next to the light switch does absolutely nothing (in day mode or night).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for any delay in replying. I was unexpectedly unavailable for some time.

Obviously the issue is still happening. One of the members asked if the panels were too dim during normal nighttime driving. I don't feel that they are, but the top level of brightness could be brighter in my opinion.

one other member suggested covering the sensor. That only makes the sensor think that it is dark and therefore dims the panels. I have tried the opposite and shined a flashlight on the sensor. This did "trick" it and the panels restored to normal brightness. I have attached two images of the panels showing them in the "dark daytime mode" when obviously at 9:30am it was not dark. I feel that the sensor is 1- facing the wrong direction or 2- needs to be adjusted to compensate for when the vehicle is blocking it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1523.JPG (58.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1522.JPG (57.3 KB, 15 views)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I've tried that but it does not alter the sensor
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM

See my comments and Rbreeze's comment on the "other" Envision forum...Buickforums.com/envision. There a Buick rep replied, but nothing since from that person since the initial reply.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:48 PM

BREAKING NEWS...on 10/24/16 a service bulletin 16-NA-357 was issued pertaining to software reprogramming/calibration of the BCM (body control module) for '16/'17 Buick Envisions. I had my '16 Envision updated today, took less than an hour, and the NAV/Instruments/Camera seem normal as one goes from light to dark, and dark to light surroundings. So far have only tested this in/out of the garage on a sunny day, so will need to see how the lighting adjusts during dawn and dusk situations. But what a vast improvement!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page