Navigation issue - Buick Envision Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Navigation issue

I have a 2017 Premium II. Everything worked for the first 3000 miles. Then the attached photo (I hope it is attached) appeared. It was a black screen with an orange border. It was 3:00 on Friday when I got to the dealer. The service advisor was much more interested in looking at his computer than my problem. After I insisted that he look, he took off into the back and came back with a service advice and gave me an appointment for Monday. Monday Morning everything worked again. I still want to the dealer and they after two hours they told me that a file upload was complete'

Anybody else have this problem? What should I think about this? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170324_154019_resized (1).jpg (177.0 KB, 13 views)
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have words of wisdom on my navigation problem?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:48 PM

An over the air update I guess was all it was. When you were with it, did it move from 0/100 to like .... 2/100 or something ?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

There was a counter in the lower RH counter that counted up and then returned to 0. We were disappointed that this would happen to an expensive new car. They need to give the service writers acting lessons so they can express a little sympathy. We have the dimming navigation screen and down't think our maps are the latest, but not sure we want to make other changes.

Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Same issue on mine today.
Just 1 week and 400 miles into ownership, and second visit needed to service (first was to perform the TSB 16-NA-357.
Screen kept counting to 15 mins or so, then blank, then another attempt after another. It stopped trying after a couple of hours and went black.
No nav or speed limit info, no phone, no radio, no media, no external temp, no digital clock, no fan speed info.
Stopped at dealer, but all techs had left for the day. Will return tomorrow morning.
There will be further posts on this.

2017 Premium 11
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

They gave me Document 4665859. The download took about 90 minuets. Everything seems to work OK now. I had to re-sync the phones.

Seems like A little sympathy was in order. What is TSB 16-NA-357?
NormT likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info.
Hope that tomorrows visit to dealer goes better than this evening.
On your question about the TSB, TxTom posted the following on another thread on this forum.

BREAKING NEWS...on 10/24/16 a service bulletin 16-NA-357 was issued pertaining to software reprogramming/calibration of the BCM (body control module) for '16/'17 Buick Envisions. I had my '16 Envision updated today, took less than an hour, and the NAV/Instruments/Camera seem normal as one goes from light to dark, and dark to light surroundings. So far have only tested this in/out of the garage on a sunny day, so will need to see how the lighting adjusts during dawn and dusk situations. But what a vast improvement!

If your build date was before 10/24/16 you should have the dealer service crew check whether it needs to be performed on your vehicle.
NormT likes this.

2017 Premium 11

Last edited by IrishTexan; 04-20-2017 at 07:50 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 PM

Later that same day...
Just spoke to a very helpful lady at the GM Infotainment Customer Support team @ (855) 478-7767
They operate Mon thru Sat 8am to 10pm EST
She was familiar with the issue.
It is an Over The Air Update issue not exclusive to our vehicles. Seems like GM may have an issue with their "over the air" update procedures/protocols. They are aware of this, and hopefully this will not be a frequent event.
She suggested checking the vehicle in the morning, as the vehicle will continue to attempt to download the update until completed.
Just went and checked, and all functions have returned. She will be giving me a callback tomorrow, so I will ask her to verify the software versions are updated.
NormT likes this.

2017 Premium 11
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:49 AM

Feel like I've encountered the tip of an iceberg.
Over the air updates (SOTA/software and FOTA/firmware) are the future of automotive ownership.
Unfortunately the dealer sales and service folks are not sufficiently informed to be any help.
From my conversations with GM support, it appears I fell victim to a failed update. Initially fobbed off with lines like I must have had no internet connection or I turned the ignition off and on during an update. Neither is true.
Fortunately my vehicle functionality has returned, but nobody can tell me if the update which caused the problem has been completed. I was told that the vehicle would have continued to "talk" to the GM server even when shut off and locked. I could not get answers. How much, if any, of my data allowance was, and will be, used by the process? How often updates might occur and will the same system shutdown reoccur? Can I control when updates happen? Do I actually have any real control over the wifi hotspot?
Frustrated with the entire mess.
Dealer is not equipped to provide any meaningful assistance.
GM support not much better. They know about the problem, but not the cause.
System shutdown may or may not happen again, and with unknown frequency.
My personal data allowance may or may not be lost to the update process and size of update files is unknown.
Shutting off the wifi hotspot does not prevent the vehicle computer system communicating with GM.
As OTA is the new reality, it's just a matter of when, not if, this gets resolved.
But, in the meantime, I have a vehicle that may occasionally, and for an unknown time period, have non functioning navigation, radio, media, hands free phone, fan speed display, outside temp display or anything else dependent on the center display screen. There is no known time estimate for resolution.
Other than that, I still really like the Envision. The speed of resolution of this issue may severely impact my opinion.
NormT likes this.

2017 Premium 11

Last edited by IrishTexan; 04-22-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Did you take the car to the dealer for their update?
Did the Buick Lady call you back?

Took mine in to the dealer with everything apparently working. The kept it for almost two hours. Of course there is no way to tell what they did, but I did have to pair the phones again. Everything works so far.

The Buick Lady I talked to assured me that this problem was over. Guess we will see
NormT likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page