Odd wobbling sensation on right hand turn. - Buick Envision Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Odd wobbling sensation on right hand turn.

Hello all,
Has anyone noticed an odd wobble when you stop and make a right turn? My moms Verano does it too and we took it in and they knew nothing about it. Even the guy who services her car felt it and low and behold, our awd Envision does it too. A Buick thing?
Cheers,
John
NormT likes this.
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Mine does it turning right or left. Just another Buick Envision problem to add to the growing list.
NormT likes this.

Last edited by frogg; 02-08-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM

So if you guys were to take the car in noting this problem, they wouldn't do anything to try and rectify it? Wobbling in the tires when turning is usually associated to bad wheel bearings. I don't suppose anyone has tried jacking up the car to see if there is any play in the wheels? I've done this before and confirmed when a bearing needed to be replaced. Having good steering is kind of a crucial component to safety. Do you guys notice any noise when you the feel the sensation?
NormT likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 04:28 PM

I believe the combination of soft ride bushings and some typical resonance created in the tires or suspension geometry. I haven't been to the dealership to have them find the root cause but I have data logged the torque converter and shifting behaviors when the isolation happens and don't see anything abnormal.

It does seem to change it's intensity with ambient temperature so I think it is suspension bushings letting a resonance through the car. Nothing that is a safety issue and most passengers will not feel it.

2016 Envision Prem ll
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Best to report it to the dealership. If enough owners log a complaint, I'd assume Buick would look into it and best case scenario issue a recall.
NormT likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Best to report it to the dealership. If enough owners log a complaint, I'd assume Buick would look into it and best case scenario issue a recall.
My mom took her Verano in for the same wobble. They said "there is nothing wrong with it" yet the mechanic who owns the shop she gets it inspected at sure noticed. Odd that the Envision and Verano do the exact same thing, and they don't share anything. Feels really strange. Sometimes I notice it taking off going straight too but I seem to notice it mostly going around a right hand turn/corner.
NormT likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennen View Post
So if you guys were to take the car in noting this problem, they wouldn't do anything to try and rectify it? Wobbling in the tires when turning is usually associated to bad wheel bearings. I don't suppose anyone has tried jacking up the car to see if there is any play in the wheels? I've done this before and confirmed when a bearing needed to be replaced. Having good steering is kind of a crucial component to safety. Do you guys notice any noise when you the feel the sensation?
Nope..No sound at all associated with the wobble.
NormT likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Hah! Check this out. This sounds exactly like what it does:

#PI0702B: Wobble Felt in Vehicle Acceleration from Stop Through 1-2 Shift - (Apr 3, 2012)
Subject: Wobble Felt in Vehicle Acceleration from Stop Through 1-2 Shift

Models: 2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with Engine RPO LE5 and Automatic Transmission RPO MH8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI is being revised to change the labor time. Please discard PI0702A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers or technicians may notice a wobble felt in the vehicle or steering wheel when accelerating from a stop through the 1-2 shift and/or slip/stick conditions when the vehicle shifts from 1-2 up to approximately 32♦km/h (20♦mph). This concern may be more prevalent with a passenger in the front and/or turning to the right while accelerating.

Forces generated by the front axle shafts may cause the powertrain to move laterally. These forces are induced by friction in the inboard axle joints due to the angle of the axles. The forces vary based on the phase orientation of the axle joints to each other.

Recommendation/Instructions

Loosen the four engine and transmission mounts. Adjust the engine position so that the engine mount bolts are centered on the engine mount as shown in the picture above. Pictures marked A are before and B are after. Arrows point to front of the vehicle. The mount pictured is below the airbox. Then tighten the remainder of the mounts.

Tighten
Tighten the engine mount to bracket bolts to 58♦Nm (42♦lb♦ft).
Tighten
Tighten the transmission mount through bolts to 90♦Nm (66♦lb♦ft).
Tighten
Tighten the transmission mount bolts to 50♦Nm (37♦lb♦ft).

Drive the vehicle and evaluate the concern. The concern can be duplicated by driving the vehicle in a long gradual turn with the transmission in 2nd gear while using the brakes to maintain a speed of 24♦km/h (15♦mph) and engine at 2000 RPM.

If the mount adjustment does not eliminate the concern, new design half shafts have been released to address this condition. These new axles have new grease that reduces friction in the joint.

Note: Once these half shafts have been installed, perform the following break-in procedure:

1. From a stop, accelerate wide open throttle through the 1-2 shift up to 64♦km/h (40♦mph).

2. Decelerate to a stop.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 a total of 20 times.

Important: If the concern is still present after replacing the half shafts, contact Technical Assistance (TAC).

Parts Information
General and NormT like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else experiencing this?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:35 PM

Not as far as I know, though if there's a service announcement for it then I'd assume it's affecting more than just your vehicle. Maybe it's limited to a certain batch from the factory.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page