Buick Envision Forum banner

Door drains

11K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  scottmaggie 
#1 ·
We have just purchased a new 2018 envision. We are experiencing water emptying we the doors are opened. Door are suppose to drain but not only when opened. We took it our local dealer and showed the service manager and as noted on this site others with same problem, was told they were not aware of this occurring with any others and would send the video we supplied to GM. This issue needs to be investigated and corrected as we as with the others live in a cold climate and freezing is an issue for 4 or 5 months a year. This situation is also promoting environment for rust to form more quickly than it should. My request is to anyone with this issue to post so we can get an idea how widespread this issue is, and if you don't have this problem , what is the difference between our vehicles. Thank you

#4 ·
I have a 2017 Envision with the same problem. All four doors will not drain after a rain. When I open the doors, each door will drain water for about 30 seconds each. I have brought the vehicle back to the dealer who sublet the repair to a company called LeakPro. They claimed the driver door drains were being blocked by somethings and applied glue to hold up the material that was causing the block. However, that did not fix the problem. From my perspective as an accountant, and by no means qualified to diagnose the problem, what I see is the rubber foam attached to the vehicle body that seals the door when shut, also seals the drain holes at the bottom of the door. I am concerned that the bottom of these doors will eventually rust and likely just after the warranty runs out. Does anyone have a solution to this problem that I can share with my dealer? I have another appointment tomorrow to look at this problem. I have videos of the problem if anyone would like to see them.

#3 ·
My 2019 Envision also keeps the water in all the doors (more in the front doors). It drains the water by keeping the doors open. It drains better if the car is sloped with the front of the car lower than the back of the car. The lowest drain hole is at the front of the door.

#5 ·
We have a 2018 and I have never noticed this as an issue. I don't recall it ever had water draining after opening the doors but perhaps I did not notice. Although the car is garaged it is often in the rain in Jersey. I need to service it soon and will also ask the dealer (they are pretty good) if this is an issue that has been brought to their attention.

#7 ·
I have owned a 2018 Buick Envision since April 2018. Now have over 31,000 on it. Never had this issue, and I have parked this outside when traveling. Water never pours out of the door - even if it goes through a car wash. Maybe I am fortunate, but no issues at all so far. Not even a rattle. Just a well built SUV as far as I am concerned.

#8 ·
I have just bought a 2020 Envision. All four doors drain water after a rainfall. Dealership say they never heard of this problem despite I have read on this site it has been going on for a few years. Is there any solutions to stop this. I am afraid of the water freezing in the winter.

#9 ·
Since this post I left the car out in a heavy rain, the car then sat in the garage for two days and when I went to open the door to use the car I specifically looked and yes a bit of water trickled out of the drain hole at bottom front of the driver door. I am assuming that the weather stripping (where it is positioned) and how it must compress with the door closed interfering with the drain hole and holding water back from a complete draining when the door is closed. I didn't think it was a lot relative to the rain we had. Although this care has been the best car we have ever owned (all around satisfaction, quality, serviceability) I too am concerned with the potential for rust and glad the Buick has a longer warranty than most brands. We shall see in time.

#10 ·
2018 Envision 34k miles. I just bought it a week go. First big rain and open the doors next day...both front doors POURED out water for a good 10 seconds. Went right to the dealer and was told "that's normal".

Really? Sounds awfully like when the same dealer told me my GMC Terrian wasn't bleating oil...

I'm going back Monday and asking a manager to put in writing that this is normal because I darn sure know it is not.

#11 ·
Spent some time today with the service manager. He agreed it is not normal and we took a look at the car. The drain holes were clear and we agreed that it appears the body mounted gasket presses up against the drain holes. The quickest and simplest solution was to place a zip tie on the gasket in line with where the drain holes are. Just enough to slightly crimp the gasket and allow the water to escape. See pics attached. Hope this helps anyone else having the issue. I will report back if the issue persists but I think this will take care of it.

Attachments

#12 ·
Follow up: Adding the zip ties did nothing. The problem is lack of a rear drain hole on each door causing water build up when the car is parked on a slope. My driveway is sloped so water accumulates at the back of each door, especially the fronts. Using a drill, I carefully added a back corner drain hole to each door then used touchup paint to prevent rust around the holes. This works perfectly. No more water accumulation

NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM IF YOU FOLLOW THIS AND MAKE A MISTAKE, ETC. Use this information at your own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.