Buick Envision Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
does anyone know for sure if Gm is going to issue a bulletin or recall on this
Most of the accidents be fixed quietly,a few pictures were being exposed ,So we found faultiness design from picture of lower control arm falls off,we found a Patent description of GM for split-type bolt bushing and onepiece solid bolt bushig later,so we confirm that GM intentionally hide problems with their products, and refuse to recall their products !

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'm starting to think that Buick took some cost cutting efforts knowing they're going into a market new to them, not a good look for such a new product and a brand that's still trying to build some solid foundation. do you guys in China at least have some better alternatives to the Envision?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'm starting to think that Buick took some cost cutting efforts knowing they're going into a market new to them, not a good look for such a new product and a brand that's still trying to build some solid foundation. do you guys in China at least have some better alternatives to the Envision?
I hope NHTSA survey GM for split bolt!Because of them simply refuse to acknowledge there's a problem.I am a user
of Buick Envision!I have to get help from American,But My english is poor,So I have to used picture of motor-vehicle accident or structure chart to explain the truth!I hope someone can understand the fact and complain for split bolt of GM immediately.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
If someone of Buick Envision User can understand the fact of split bolt,You should contact NHTSA.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since 2014,GM design and build a split-shaft bushing on lower control arm,the split-shaft of bushing is made up of three parts,one is the hollow sleeve,other two is a little bolt.In history,all shaft of bushing is solid and forging materials.Because it's used split structure,rear bolt and front bolt rotates and destroy the internal of inner sleeve ,and sleeve was plastic deformation,so lower control arm falls off from sub frame .In china ,because of applied this structure,a lot of accidents shows that split-shaft is not strong and easy to be damaged,This is a serious hazard!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
After reading this post I searched the web looking for any incidents that have been recorded or complained about as my first thought was oh boy I purchased a car that is flawed at best, may be dangerous down the road at worst. Then I took a breath and started to think with reason. Although Envisions are not far and away a best seller in the US (and we love ours the positives far outweigh any negatives) they are in China. To date there should be about ~1M on the road the bulk being in China. First, the Buick name survived over the Pontiac name during the '08 downturn specifically due to its importance as a brand in China. That said GM has been rebuilding the brand in the US with new models, a number of which are drawn from international facilities. Second, after GM's issue with ignitions, that has cost them handily, Mary Barra did the right thing, held her company responsible and although no compensation is enough for loved ones she provided equity, however just that kind of ending can be. I would be very inclined to believe that GM would nip any safety issues such as this in the bud up front and not risk another ignition switch type issue. The car has been in production since 2014 and the Malibu even longer. Absence of both complaints and any type of service bulletin addressing the potential problem I would more believe this is isolated due to some incident with the specific vehicle rather than a flaw in the design. However, that is just my opinion after my own researching.

·
Registered
257 Posts
More of a chance of having a Honda 1.5t recall for fuel dumping into the oil in China than this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
(1/3)
There is currently a recall (front lower arm) of certain Buick Envisions (2018-2019) in China. I live in the US and two of my friends in the US drive 2018 Buick Envision. They are afraid that their Buick Envisions are also affected by this recall, since all US Buick Envisions are imported from China. However, there is no recall of Buick Envision in the US. They told me that the recall in China is about the so called “split bush”, which is a new structure on the front lower control arm for certain 2015-2019 model year Buick Envision. I accompanied my friends to the dealer recently for some details.

The technician first confirmed us that all US Buick Envisions in the US are manufactured in China and imported to the US. And he thought the split bush will not create any issues in terms of safety, since he has never encountered any complaints about that. He drives an Envision himself and he enjoys it. My friends are still not confident with the technician’s words. They asked me to do some analysis on it to see if this new design is good or not. We purchased this part from an authorized GM part shop. Pictures of the front control arm assembly are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
(2/3)
I used a grinder to cut the outer sleeve to expose what is inside. Pictures are attached. The “split bush” is actually a “3-pieces bush” which is mainly composed of a front little bolt, an inner sleeve, a rear little bolt, a vulcanized rubber, and an outer sleeve. The one-piece inner sleeve strengthens the whole assembly. And it can be confirmed that the US version is the same as the Chinese version.

Some Chinese customers think this is a design failure and ask for a safety recall. However, I think this design considers passengers safety as the highest priority. Those who think it is a design failure hold the opinion that this design is weak as it is prone to plastic deformation under low velocity impact (e.g. hitting curbs, crash, etc.). And when this plastic deformation occurs, it can create a potential risk that the bush can be even separated if the driver disregards the deformation and continues driving the vehicle.

Although this design may seem it is unsafe at the first glance, yet it saves passengers’ lives in severe crashes. Car manufactures these days usually design the chassis such that the zones outside the cabin tend to break to absorb energy to protect the passengers inside. For example, engines nowadays tend to drop in a severe front crash, preventing engine going inside the cabin to create even more severe damage to the passengers. Another example is the F1 racing cars. The front wing, nose cone, and front wheel assemblies are designed to be delicate and prone to be damaged in a crash. These design methods can quickly absorb and release the crash impact preventing its energy going inside the cabin.

And I think GM’s design is a very good example of this design language. The front “3-pieces bush” will be separated in a severe front crash, while the rear one-piece bushing maintains its position, preventing the front wheel assembly crushing inside the cabin to protect the passengers. The one-piece inner sleeve strengthens the whole structure that preventing it broken during normal drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
(3/3)
IIHS’s safety tests (just search iihs.org, I do not know why I cannot attach links here) can prove the advantages of this design. And 2016-2018 Buick Envision earns TOP SAFETY PICK+ award.

In both the small-overlap and moderate-overlap front crash tests (picture attached), the driver’s space was maintained well, and the risk of injuries to the dummy’s legs and feet was low. It can also be seen that the front wheel assembly moves away from its original position so that it does not crush into the cabin. The front end 3-pieces bush plus the rear end one-piece bush design can very well serve this purpose, while not letting the wheel assembly flying out to create other damages to other cars or pedestrians.

I told my friends that their Buick Envisions are safe to drive and can protect them in a severe crash. The bottom line of this study is that this design may seem to be weaker than a one-piece bush (but is still strong enough in normal drive), however it saves passengers’ life in a crash. So, let me ask you a question “Which one would you choose, your life or the repair cost?”

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does China do offset crash test like the U.S.? I don't think your co trol arms would pass our test.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have a 2018 Envision and I have been trying to keep up with the recall in China myself. Although I too am concerned for safety, with the low numbers of Envisions sold in the US thus far I find it hard to believe GM / Mary Barra would risk the rebuilding of the brand and GM's reputation especially after the ignition issue which was far and away more costly than inspecting and replacing some front end suspension parts on the Envision. I check both IIHS.org and the https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls regularly to see if there are any TSB or Recalls that pertain to the vehicles. Todate I have not found any except on this site the one on the front end wobble / oscillation on accelerating. We are really happy with the car thus far, about 6K miles / 4 mos, and its build quality, feel and comfort. So we are hoping that this issue will be flushed out one way or another to take this question make issue hanging over the car off the table.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 2018 Envision and I have been trying to keep up with the recall in China myself. Although I too am concerned for safety, with the low numbers of Envisions sold in the US thus far I find it hard to believe GM / Mary Barra would risk the rebuilding of the brand and GM's reputation especially after the ignition issue which was far and away more costly than inspecting and replacing some front end suspension parts on the Envision. I check both IIHS.org and the https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls regularly to see if there are any TSB or Recalls that pertain to the vehicles. Todate I have not found any except on this site the one on the front end wobble / oscillation on accelerating. We are really happy with the car thus far, about 6K miles / 4 mos, and its build quality, feel and comfort. So we are hoping that this issue will be flushed out one way or another to take this question make issue hanging over the car off the table.
I think this design is good.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts