Buick Envision Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to switch cars and use mine with 5% oil for a 1,000 mile trip at Xmas. Needless to say it was on "0" when we returned. Not going to waiit a week to get in for the freebie so 14° F isn't so bad when you on the move. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're braver than me to change the oil in the snow. A bit of cold will have me bundled up like the Michelin man. :D
With oil changes, it doesn't have to be right at the suggested mileage, you just do it when needed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You're braver than me to change the oil in the snow. A bit of cold will have me bundled up like the Michelin man. :D
With oil changes, it doesn't have to be right at the suggested mileage, you just do it when needed.
Its not that bad if you know exactly what to do and manage how you stay warm during all of that. I have changed radiators in the cold with my car sticking 1/2 way out the garage and even then it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a dry cold, very comfortable. The best part is I didn't need ramps or jack stands to get underneath it. The oil just drained a little slow. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
It was a dry cold, very comfortable. The best part is I didn't need ramps or jack stands to get underneath it. The oil just drained a little slow. :)
Well one trick to speed up that process is to drive around enough to get the engine heated up. Seen my tech do that and wondered why since I never asked for a test drive, but it makes sense and after seeing some videos on this, i'm convinced.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A warm engine leaves too much of the old oil in thr engine as it has had time to drain back into the oil pan as the pressures drop when the engine is off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts