Buick Envision Forum banner

Rear A/C Blowing Only Hot Air?

94K views 66 replies 24 participants last post by  JS Forrest 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Premier II with rear a/c controls. Front a/c blowing good and cold, rear blowing only hot air, regardless of rear temp setting. Tried it with Sync on, and no change for rear a/c. Am I missing something, or is a visit to the dealer in my near future?

#58 ·
After three weeks in the shop, we got the car back. I think it was torn down to the bottom like the car above to fix the rear air. I didn't see it but my SA told me it was. I gave her the TSB on the axles, but I think GM had already told the guy what to order so not sure if they are the same as on that TSB. The rear AC works again and the wobble is GONE!!! Hallelujah!! The only thing they didn't address was the loss of power. My SA said the tech didn't see anything wrong with it. I told her that's because it's not his car. This car used to have screaming passing power. Hit it at 40-50 to pass someone and it would fly. Now, it feels like a non-turbo car..Don't know what to do about that. No engine light, no actual driveability issue (except one time, I took off hard from a light, going up a slight incline and the car felt like it was lagging, like something was pulling it from behind)
They also did the TSB on the differential but I was not having any rattling issue.

So that's where I am at. Fixed AC, Fixed the dang wobble but now have no idea why my car isn't as zippy as it used to be. I told my SA I suspected it had something to do with the turbo. Perhaps the wastegate not working properly. Never in recent times have I had a car that spent this much time in the shop.

#59 ·
Well I finally got my car back last week. The first time I go to use the navigation this week I have none!!!!’ Shows off road. Cked with On Star and Buick tech. They said needs to go back to dealer to recalibrate the navigation. Took to dealer on Monday. They called me yesterday and said problem is within radio or in the antenna and has nothing to do with the invasive repair of the previous pics I posted. Radio stuff is all contained and was just disconnected when they completely tore the dash apart to fix the rear air problem!! Really!! They tear my car apart because that is the only way that Buick can repair the rear air and then the first time I use the navigation I have none!! Navigation was fine when I took in for rear air problem. Antenna??? How can radio and XM work if it is the antenna?? So upset.. they are analyzing the problem... which means they probably don’t know what the **** is wrong.

#60 · (Edited)
That stinks. The navigation antenna is a different antenna from the radio and XM. It's possible when they tore things apart they did not put the navigation antenna back in the Dashboard.....Or did not put it incorrectly. I'm pretty sure that's where General Motors is still placing them. Towards the front of the car Passenger side underneath the Dashboard pad.....In any event, if it were me, before I took it back to the dealer, I would disconnect the positive battery cable for about 20 minutes and then reconnect it and see what happens with respect to the navigation.

Also I know the first time you tried it after the repair the navigation was not working, but could you say when the last time prior to that it was utilized? Just asking because I guess there is a possibility that the navigation stop working before you brought it in but you just didn't know about it. We probably only try to use the navigation may be once or twice a month, so if it wasn't working for me, I really wouldn't know when it stopped working.....

Reactions: frogg
#63 ·
Any update on what the parts are that fix this? Seems like it is either a sensor or a blend door gear. Mine I found is blowing hot from rear vents only this spring and is out of warranty. These are going to be costly to take to dealer and pay for. At least if I can cut a plastic HVAC case panel off and glue it back closed or replace the sensor easy without pulling doors and dash. Going to be a lot of people that cant swallow a $4-5k dealer labor bill to fix this common issue. Would love to see more detailed pics of the console and if there is a heater core in it. I may just try to block the console heater core too.

#65 ·
This seems like a common problem. Our Buick is off warranty, of course. To repair it, looks like we are facing a bill of around $3,000.00. Crazy. Could this become a recall issue? Has anyone contacted GM to see what they might do to make things right. I am not sure the back a/c-heater ever worked, as we almost never have anyone sitting in the back. What a shame.

#66 ·
I discovered the same problem Labor Day weekend with the AC not running cold air in the back seat in my 2019 Premium I. I don't usually have anyone in the back so I don't know how long it's been going on. I decided to wait until next summer to have it looked at. Then, my mother just called me and she is having the exact issue with her 2019 Premium II. She took it in and it's going to be $3000 to repair. $400 for the part and the rest is labor to take the entire dash apart. I'm hoping they have a recall because it certainly sounds like a defect. My mom only has 26,000 miles on her pristine 2019 car so it's definitely not worn out. We've both decided to start looking for something new to get next Spring before it gets too hot....

#67 ·
Call GM Customer Service and ask them what they can cover or do. It will Nobel reviewed by GM. For me they would cover 25%. When I said I was not satisfied and said I would be willing to share the cost at 50% they came back with the same 25% plus a free oil change. The more who complain perhaps they will take some responsibility. Good luck.